You have to love gizzards...

Food, drink, gastronomy

You have to love gizzards...

Postby duckdawg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:17 pm

and hearts and livers. Duck, goose and pheasant all together are a happy group. Butter, garlic, celery seed, a little heat. Over rice. Heaven.

gizzards.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

-- James Madison (Federalist No. 41, 1788)
duckdawg
Site Admin

Re: You have to love gizzards...

Postby grump » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:40 am

I'll freeze and box all I get this season and ship them up to ya. :23
If they come for your guns, start with your ammunition.
grump
Don Prudhomme

Location: mASS, where gun laws get passed, crime goes up, so they pass more gun laws

Postby Dogman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:30 pm

I thought I was the only one that kept the internal stuff,in fact I recall everyone else just breasting the birds.Have I started something or did I just miss something.
My lab is the best hunting partner there is.
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby duckdawg » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am

I grew up eating innards from birds we shot and also we'd get gizzards and hearts and livers and such at the grocery store and cook those up as well.
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Michgndr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 am

Never been a fan. Not even when my grandmother was raving about 'em.
Member #7...just like that other classic, Jack Daniels
Michgndr
Northern Dogmens Guide

Postby The CB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Poule d'eau gizzard gumbo. For those that put down on gizzards or pulldo, you just don't know how to cook and live a sheltered life.
The CB
Devil Dog

Postby duckdawg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Man, that looks soooo good! I would tuck into that, buddy! And sausage too! Damn... :18

Whats in the broth?

Trying a repost to see the rest of it...

puldogiz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby The CB » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 am

The stock is made from roasted chicken skin and bones, onions, celery and garlic. Medium roux. It is pretty simple to make:

Simmer gizzards and hearts until tender.

Cook sausage, remove from pot. Make a medium colour roux. Add onions, bell pepper and celery. Cook them down until really soft. Add gizzards.

Add thyme, garlic, bay leaf, and start adding stock a little at a time. Once you get it where you want it, stop adding stock.

Add some Chef Paul's Poultry magic, salt, pepper to taste. Simmer all day. Serve it over rice. Make sure you add a little gumbo file' to each bowl to finish.

Now something that most of the people on the PIT don't do and if they did it would really make their birds (ducks and geese) taste amazing is the following:

1) Don't be lazy, take your time to clean your birds properly.

2) Don't let the birds set all day. If you are going to be out there for a bit, gut the birds. Just getting the guts out will start the cooling process.

3) All skin and every trace of fat must be removed from divers, poule d'eau, and any bird in question. This includes spoonies, snows that have been eating bad, etc. The skin and fat is what gives the birds that bad flavor.

4) Ice, water, a little salt in a big bowl. Soak those birds in the fridge after cleaning. If the water gets bloody on the first soaking, dump it, and add more fresh water. Soaking birds like this for a couple of hours to over night will greatly improve the quality of the meat. Once you get them soaked for a bit, dry and package or use.

5) Breasting birds is okay, but you are missing out on some of the best meat if you don't cut the wings and legs off. Save them, they make great gumbos, stews, bacon grilled snacks, etc. Save a carcass or two for making stock. Try to keep a few breast off of a couple of fat puddle ducks with the skin on it. You will be amazed at how good that fat is. When I'm knee deep in birds like I am now, I breast them, save the wings/legs/gizzards, and I try to remove all the meat off of the carcass I can (It saves room in my freezers). Breast and gizzards are for home, trimmings and wings/legs are camp meat for gumbo and grilling.

6) Stop using Italian dressing and cream of mushroom soap. LEARN TO COOK.
The CB
Devil Dog

Postby duckdawg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 am

I had to laugh at #6! That was funny as hell! How many of the recipes in wild game cookbooks have Italian dressing or cream of mushroom soup in them? Usually a ton!

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Roscollian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 am

I hunt catfish ponds a lot (it's free and my 12 year old enjoys it.) We shoot a mess of spoonies and scaup and what I've learned over time with spoonies: if the skin is white, some of the best eating, if it's orange, put it in the gumbo pot and you can't tell the difference.
Roscollian
Nimrod

Return to Cooking