2017 garden

Deck planters to farms - grow stuff!

Re: 2017 garden

Postby Dogman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm

You should get into home brewing,make some peach beer. :38
My lab is the best hunting partner there is.
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby grump » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 am

How's your area doing with apples? Near the same as a few years back? I've lost about half of every apple tree due to branches breaking off because of too many apples. Still have way more than I could ever use. (How much pie and/or applesauce can I eat? :5 :16 ) I have two trees that have always (6 years) just refused to grow fruit, but, this year, they finally have a couple dozen apples on them. (compared to about a couple hundred on the tree in front of them.)
Critters ate every berry, which is a feat in itself. The berry 'patch' is about 30' long and 6' wide and was "LOADED". The grapes are doing great. I think it's because they're inside the berry patch and are too hard for critters to get to and too big for the birds to munch on.
'Maters are doing good. They're about 5' high and have about a dozen tomatoes each. "Momma's" upset though, she says they should have a lot more tomatoes on them. :6 Two people, 6 plants and 10 - 12 tomatoes each plant (and still producing buds), I think she's just getting greedy now.
If they come for your guns, start with your ammunition.
grump
Don Prudhomme

Location: mASS, where gun laws get passed, crime goes up, so they pass more gun laws

Postby duckdawg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am

Apples are doing great. Another good apple year. I don't know if it is a crazy as a few years ago, but its going to be good. My little MacIntosh tree has a bunch on it this year - first year for producing lots of fruit.

Tomatoes got a late start but are trying to catch up. Blackberries were looking good but I can only pick about half the patch because of an underground yellowjacket nest right next to the patch. Going to have to do a chemical bombardment under cover of darkness. :22
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

-- James Madison (Federalist No. 41, 1788)
duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Dogman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Just had my first garden grow and perfectly ripened Tomato sandwich. :18 Went down nicely with Guinness draught chasing it. :18
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby duckdawg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Way ahead of mine! My maters are all still green as grass. Still picking and freezing green beans and peaches and started picking and freezing soybeans today.
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Dogman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Each summer it is the same.Fresh garden Mater sandwich never fails to please.Doesn't get old.I guess the fall/winter/spring waiting makes it all the more delicious. :19
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby duckdawg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm

I live for that. Cut a 3/4 inch slice out of a beefsteak mater still hot from the sun, slap it on bread with mayo, salt and pepper. Pure heaven. :18

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Dogman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm

"Hot from the sun"doesn't work for me.Nice and cold,fresh picked in the early AM before the sun shines on it.Doesn't get any better in my book.However,as I'm sure you'll agree,it's all about garden fresh maters,temps are just personal preferences.
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby duckdawg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:39 am

Nothing beats the flavor of a home grown mater, hot or cold. :18

duckdawg
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Gardening