Becoming a Fasteel zombie like everybody else?

Talk about anything

Becoming a Fasteel zombie like everybody else?

Postby duckdawg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

So I'm down to about 4 boxes of my beloved Federal Ultra-Shok 3" BB loads and needed to buy something else since they don't make em anymore. I can understand why they don't make them anymore - its because THEY WORKED GREAT! idiots. :12

So have been digging around and decided to get a case of Kent Silver Steel. They're zinc plated like the Ultra-shoks and the reviews are pretty good. Any of you guys shoot these?

Am I going to join the Church Of The Holy Fasteel and bore everyone with stories of how they are better than every other shell ever made after shooting these? :8
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

-- James Madison (Federalist No. 41, 1788)
duckdawg
Site Admin

Re: Becoming a Fasteel zombie like everybody else?

Postby Dogman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I'd buy Hevi shot all the time if I could afford it.
My lab is the best hunting partner there is.
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Postby grump » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Dogman wrote:I'd buy Hevi shot all the time if I could afford it.

+1 I agree, but 90% of my shots are over decoys and well within 40yds. Cheap azz steel works just fine and I can buy 3 boxes instead of 1 box of Hevi-shot. (But damn, it sure do knock them down.)
If they come for your guns, start with your ammunition.
grump
Don Prudhomme

Location: mASS, where gun laws get passed, crime goes up, so they pass more gun laws

Postby duckdawg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

I discovered that Roger's talked Federal into making Ultra-shok for them! :18

I bought a case of #2 for the Saskatchewan trip and it turned out to be a good compromise for killing tough geese and not blowing the snot out of ducks. in the 8 hunts we had I shot about 200 rounds - that stuff hits hard! Once I get my chit in order I think I'll post up a Sask pic collection here.
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?"

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby grump » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 am

Ya know? I'll bet pictures would really make this post..... :49
Promises, promises. I think he really went to Albany instead.
grump
Don Prudhomme

Location: mASS, where gun laws get passed, crime goes up, so they pass more gun laws

Postby duckdawg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:08 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah... they're coming :46

I just down loaded them from the phone to the server and have to resize anything I want to post.
Try this on for size...
sask1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby grump » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't know, that looks a lot like Delaware, that dog don't look yella, and what the heck is that flying saucer all about?

P.S. What is the current dog situation. With all the BS going on around home, I've forgotten what's what. I remember a yella pup, but nothing after that. Name? Another dog? Figure out what we're going to do about the C.R.A.P. Shoot? (just thought I'd throw that one out there.) We can meet here if you want, but the only thing to shoot is paper..... Well, we could call it the "CRAPPY" shoot 2017. :35 Or maybe set up a seaduck hunt? Rent a cabin? Hire a guide? Steal a boat?
grump
Don Prudhomme

Postby duckdawg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

There are some similarities with DE. Huge flocks of birds sit on the water at night and head to the fields in the morning and afternoon. However, in Sask, those big flocks start coming and just about never stop coming. It's insane. And the other thing about Sask is the variety. We'd have flocks of 300 pintails come in, followed by a flock of 100 mallards, then 10 flocks of 20 or 30 gadwalls, widgeon and even some teal. Then the Canadas would come. Giants, lessers, specs and even Ross''s geese. I finally shot a blue goose out of a big flock of nothing but blue geese.

And the biggest difference? These birds are STUPID! They've never been hunted. They're fresh from the northern wilderness and they are hungry as hell. Birds would commit from a quarter mile away and when they were 25 or 30 yards out, we'd call the shot and sit up and they just kept coming right at us, cupped. Lambs to the slaughter.

The dog in the picture is Josie, the mother to the pup I got a couple months ago. Sticking with the nautical theme, the pup is named, "Cutter". The yeller dawg you recall is Dash the rescue dawg. He doesn't hunt due to his fascination with showing other dogs how tough he is and the fact that he is gun shy. Dash likes other dogs but has absolutely zero diplomatic skills.

The flying saucer is actually a flying spinning motion decoy. It's a couple styrofoam wheels joined together with light string attached to swivels on its "axel". In light wind it attaches via fishing line to a 8 or 10 foot pole. Any wind whatsoever and it spins and bops around - it's got duck wing speculum painted on it. In stronger wind it will just fly by itself and you can let it get way out there, 30 feet, and apparently it looks like a landing duck.

C.R.A.P.? I'm just getting my act together after being gone for 14 days and haven't been able to give that much thought. There are no birds here whatsoever, due to the warm weather, so I'm hoping that the second half will bring us some birds.

duckdawg
Site Admin

Postby Dogman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:07 pm

If a seaduck hunt happens it can happen in my locale,I've got a 16 ft Alumacraft and decoys.3 guys,as long as only one is my size,would be okay.As long as we can get out in good weather it should be doable.Saco bay gets good seaduck numbers.No need to go all the up the Maine coast.
My lab is the best hunting partner there is.
Pit Blind member #9
Dogman

Return to General Discussion